Friday, August 20, 2010

Welcome Back!


Well, the 2010-2011 school year is already underway. I am so excited to get to know the English II and AP Literature students... and I am so happy to have 25 Juniors in AP Language.
So, what did I -- Mrs. Cross -- do during our first two days of school? I met with the AP Language students on Thursday. I am thrilled to be teaching this new course (it's the first year for it at St. Anthony). I will be teaching two sections of the class each afternoon. Both classes are filled with brilliant students who will do a great job all year long. We went over the course syllabus (a short 6 pages) and then we talked about what we did over the summer. It sounds like most of you had an enjoyable summer vacation. I'm jealous that Sophie got to go to Hogwarts... and that several of you traveled around the globe. Pretty amazing stuff.
I met with my AP Literature, Study Hall, and English II folks on Friday. My AP Literature class is sort of small this year (6 students), but I think it will be a great experience. I love teaching literature and literary analysis, so I always enjoy this course... I just hope my students end up enjoying it, as well. Study Hall was quiet and pleasant. It's hard to say much about study hall, but I think we all got a little work done today. English II was the scariest. Not that the students in these classes are scary, but it is always difficult to meet 16 to 18 students at one time. Believe it or not, teachers get nervous on the first days of school. The hardest part for me is that I have to "lay down the law" in the early days of school. That's never much fun. But, I did enjoy meeting new students and I am really looking forward to teaching English II again this year. It's such a cool class (IMO).
Just to start my English II students off on the right foot (or feet?)... I did a cell phone check in each of those classes this morning. Holy mackerel! At least ten students had cell phones in their pockets. Oops! Of course, nothing beats Noah's phone going off again. We all had a laugh about that because it always seems to happen to Noah at the wrong time (remember last year).
One thing I would like my students to know about me is that I never hold a grudge. Every class starts fresh and new. If you had a bad day on Monday, come in on Tuesday knowing that I still think you're a wonderful person. I will never let bad behavior in one class affect what happens during the next. The second thing I want you to know: I love teaching English! I want you to enjoy my classes, work hard, and come to class with a strong, positive spirit and attitude. You might start to enjoy my courses, too.
Well, I'm rambling (as usual). I just want to reiterate: Welcome Back! I hope the 2010-2011 school year is a great one for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment