Monday, November 8, 2010

Lonely? Bored? Or something else?

"Lonely people have a natural affinity for the internet. It's always there waiting, patient, flexible, suitable for every mood..."

"What do lonely people desire? Companionship. Love. Recognition. Entertainment. Camaraderie. Distraction. Encouragement. Change. Feedback."


So says Roger Ebert, the film critic turned prodigious blogger, in a weekend post ("All the lonely people") that is getting a lot of attention in the blogosphere and hundreds of comments in response. And deservedly so. Even if you don't agree with his premise -- that there's a fine line between loneliness and boredom -- it's a heckuva post: thoughtful, analytical, provocative, self-reflective.

I was drawn to the piece by the headline and first sentence, quoted above. Is that me he's talking about? Is that why I blog? Is that why I've joined Facebook?

I've never thought of myself as lonely, though I enjoy doing things on my own. (Which is not to say I don't treasure the companionship of my wife and family, because I obviously do.) What I'm saying is that I enjoy running, swimming, reading, listening to music -- all of which can be done by one's self.

When I set up this blog nearly two years ago, I listed "solitude" as among my interests. To me, the word means "time spent alone" and has no negative connotation. You can enjoy solitude on a neighborhood walk, on a morning bike ride or at a coffee shop with a novel -- and I've done all of these.

Yet Ebert's piece had me scurrying to the dictionary. Is "solitude" a synonym for "lonely"? This is how Dictionary.com defines the word:

1. the state of being or living alone; seclusion: to enjoy one's solitude.
2. remoteness from habitations, as of a place; absence of human activity: the solitude of the mountains.
3. a lonely, unfrequented place: a solitude in the mountains.

Readers can judge for themselves if there's a difference between the two words.

But back to the other question...Why do I blog? Why do others create posts, comment on others and link to whatever strikes their fancy? For that matter, why do people join social networking sites? Why do they tweet?

Is it just lonely people -- or those of us who enjoy solitude -- who have a natural affinity for the internet? Couldn't you make an opposite argument? That it's exhibitionists and people who like living out loud who are drawn to cyberspace? How else do you explain the millions of self-indulgent posts and photos out there, along with the hourly status updates?

I think Ebert is a great writer and thinker and I'm especially glad he took on this subject. His words have given me a lot to think about. I may be an introvert, but I think I'm going to plead "not guilty" to being driven to the internet by loneliness.

I'd sure be interested in other people's takes on his essay. 

Photo: http://www.therubicon.org/index.php?s=graffiti

No comments:

Post a Comment