Friday, May 13, 2011

Dude, you missed your stop

The Portland Streetcar moving through the Pearl


Here'sanother story for the growing pile of forgettable moments experienced ridingpublic transit.

Last week, it was about listening to music on my iPhone and learning, to myembarrassment, that  my earbuds weren'tcompletely plugged in, which meant the music could be heard all the way to thefront of the bus. Yeesh.

Yesterday,it was about getting so absorbed in the book I'm reading that I failed totransfer buses at the Rose Quarter. By the time I looked up, we were passingthrough Union Station and heading out to the Pearl District. Yeesh.

I got off atNorthwest 10th and Northrup and had to walk about a half-mile back to Old Town,where I caught a light-rail train into the heart of the city.

Soundsworse than it was.

First, itwas actually warm and dry -- a rarity this spring in Portland.

Second,it gave me the chance to see the most affluent part of town with fresh eyes.There was a time when the Pearl was nothing more than railroad yards and old,tired buildings. It's been transformed into a national wet dream for urbanplanners, with its concentration of million-dollar condos, restaurants and assorted otherretailers (tanning salons, tattoo studios, daycare for pampered pets) catering to thecity's most affluent residents.

I'mfamiliar with that storyline. Still, it's illuminating to walk the streets inthat neighborhood and see little details. Like the words"cruelty-free" to describe the offerings on a menu or "Father'sDay special" to lure customers to a spa. Or the tall iron gates with spiky topsmeant to keep the riffraff out of a condominium parking lot.

Third,turned out it added only 15-20 minutes to my morning commute.

A nicediversion but I plan to be a little more alert today. OK, a lot more alert.

Photograph: Relocation to Portland

No comments:

Post a Comment