Sunday, October 12, 2008

Meet Iris

Harleigh wanted our new scarecrow to have a flower name. So, I'd like to introduce you to Iris. I vowed that this year I'd not buy a pre-made scarecrow from a hobby store, but would craft one myself.

I created the form by taping the heck out of two pieces of plastic volleyball net poles. I dressed our gal in old clothes from our closets. Her hands are work gloves from the dollar store with the fingers stuffed (they sorta look like ill sausages) with pillow batting. Glued some straw around her wrists.

Her head is one of Gideon's soccer balls (sorry, guy, after the holidays you'll get it back). I covered it with some leftover canvas from my living room slipcovers, tying it around the neck with string. Her face is drawn on with Sharpies. I decorated the straw hat by gluing on dollar store flowers and then made a face net using the net bag that fruit comes in. The pigtail is yarn, tied at the back of the hat and then braided, topped off with a yellow polka dot ribbon.

She's wearing one of my aprons. And the pièce de résistance is the strand of pearls. The volleyball pole is shoved into dirt into an old planter and anchored to the gutter with string.

Happy Autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment