Sunday, October 3, 2010

Bitter Sweet

That's how I describe this past week. Bitter sweet. My grandmother passed away on Monday. It was sad to know that cancer took her; hard to say how much longer she'd have lived beyond her 91 years had she not been a victim to such an ugly disease. And so the heartbreak weighed us down until family started arriving on Tuesday. From Massachusetts, Maryland and Florida. Then heartbreak turned into a celebration of my grandmother, a chance to catch up with family I've not seen for a decade or more. The weather here is kissed with Fall; the burial overlooking the city of Atlanta, high on a hill at historic Crestlawn Cemetery, was quiet, sunny and breezy, a perfect ending to a busy two days of arriving family and then the emotional viewing. The crucifix above, a wedding gift to my grandparents, now hangs in my foyer. I've always loved it and remember it hanging in my grandparents three-story brick row house in Baltimore.
I said goodbye to my sister Beth and Harleigh on Saturday and filled my afternoon with lazying about and crafts. I've been wanting to frame a vintage Florida map, but haven't wanted to pay for custom framing. So armed with the map measurements (and a tape measure that always goes with me), I check thrift store frames, hoping to find one that might fit. Well, I found one the other day. It's a little small (I've lost the FL on FLORIDA), but it works. And for $12, it is what it is. Now hangs in my bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment