Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Gonzales, Gonzales

Kim, Richard, Lisa, Natasha
Late last month, when I went down to the Bay Area for my high school reunion and to see my mom, I also managed to squeeze in a visit to two of my cousins -- Richard and Lisa Gonzales of (drumroll, please) Gonzales, California.

Though it was just a short visit, it was fun seeing them, plus Richard's girlfriend, Kim, and Lisa's daughter, Natasha, who's just turned 13. I would have liked to see their siblings but brother Anthony was working and little sister Monique was running in a half-marathon that day in Los Angeles, where she lives.

Monique dedicated the run to the memory of her father, Edward Gonzales, whom I wrote about following his untimely death in early October. Known to all as "Pro," he was my favorite uncle. I wasn't able to attend the services for him so I definitely wanted to see Richard and Lisa while I was in California.

Perhaps I'll see them again next summer. Lisa, the oldest of the Gonzales kids, is one of the principal organizers of the first-ever Flores family reunion involving my mother's side of the family. Her mother, my Aunt Ramona, was one of my mom's five sisters, who of whom are still alive. Ramona preceded my Uncle Pro in death. Looking at Lisa and her daughter, Natasha, it's easy to see they've inherited her height and good looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment