Sunday, July 6, 2008

Bike Envy

On my last visit up to Baltimore to visit my sister, I was smitten with a rusty vintage bike she has in her garden. With a metal bike basket on the front spilling over with flowers, it was too adorable. I've seen old bikes used like this before, and looking at this one every day for a week from the screened in porch was just too much. I had to have one. I've been looking for one for probably two years now and to no avail.

But this past week when we cleaned out the garage, I decided that my old bike (in the yard sale pile now to go to Goodwill) would work just fine with a little work. It's not as rusty and vintage-y as hers, but with time, it's sure to get that nice garden patina. I cleaned it good and spray painted it blue. The handlebars were covered with black foam padding and that was easily cut off. Then I added on a basket. Lined the basket with plastic and filled it with a perennial and annuals. Then secured it to the tree with wire and a bent nail. I think it looks rather pretty. Here are the before and after pix.

No comments:

Post a Comment