Friday, December 17, 2010

Candy Tree













Every year as Christmas gets close, Christo and I create our "candy trees". These "trees" are really just a big candy cane with a Styrofoam ball on top. My mom makes icing by mixing powdered sugar, egg whites, and water. (yum!) Christo and I then spread the icing all over the ball. We attach the candy in our own creative pattern. Every year the patterns get better...no...different! Some years we try to make our "masterpieces" just pretty. Other years, Christopher has attempted to draw the face of Santa Claus or the Notre Dame emblem. Every try counts. This tradition was formerly done with Charlie, John, and Jamie Schultz, Austin and Alexis Speer, and Emmie and Christo Schultz, and occasionally Patrick Schutzbach. All of us kids used to get so excited for this day to finally come. The next day we all had stomach aches. Today, however, Chisto and I are the only ones who remain. My mother insists that we stay little kids forever. After the project is over, Christo and I are always impressed with our works of art! My mom proudly displays our candy trees on our mantle above our stockings. Our friends can walk into the room and immediately tell which tree is mine and which is Christo's.
-Emmie Schultz

No comments:

Post a Comment