Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Why, Oh Why?

Students often ask me why I moved from Florida to Illinois. So, I thought I'd let you in on some of the reasons. First of all, I was born in Illinois--in Beardstown (northwest of Springfield). Also, I'd been away from my family for over 10 years; I was usually only able to visit on holidays or about once a year. That wasn't much.

It might surprise you to know this, but Illinois has quite a bit to offer. Florida isn't a bad place, but I got tired of having my air conditioning on in December and January. I really missed having four seasons and I definitely missed Autumn and Winter. This is my favorite time of year--leaves changing, colder weather, apple cider, pumpkin pie, hot cocoa, bonfires. You name it. Apple cider doesn't taste the same when it is 90 degrees in the shade.

I do miss the fishing a little bit and the alligators... but I am really happy to be closer to home (not close enough to babysit all the time, but close enough to visit) and to be at St. Anthony's.

*I took the top picture while fishing on the St. Johns River near Palatka, FL. The picture below is the view from the dock at Stegbone's Fish Camp in Welaka, FL. It's a great place to stay on a fishing trip--very "old timey" Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment