Thursday, January 21, 2010

Speech Class

Being that this is my first blog ever (yes I am a blogging virgin) it is only fitting that I write about the course that is getting me into the blogging world. The course I am talking about is Mrs. Cross' Speech class. For the first three years of high school, I consistently heard that speech was one of the biggest "blow-off" classes there was. So, being the brilliant person I am, I decided that it would fit perfectly into my senior schedule.

And then it happened...Slicer decided to get all motivated and get his Master's at EIU. I told myself not to panic; everything was going to be OK! Since Speech was on my second semester schedule, I had a whole semester to get a feel for what I was in for. It couldn't have been more than a month into my senior year, and I was already hearing how hard Speech was. However, what disturbed me the most were the rumors that the Speech teacher was Mean, Tough, Loud, and Scary. I wasn't even in the class before I started asking to get out, but according to our high school guidance counselor Speech is required and "no one" can test out of it. This news couldn't have been any worse. All of the sudden it was January 5th and I found myself walking into room 107. I tried to remain cool and keep my composure. I figured there was nothing to fear; after all, it was a class full of sophomore's with a new teacher. I scoped out the room and saw the back corner calling my name. As I made myself at home, I put my feet up on the empty desk in front of me....Bad move on my part. Before I could even introduce myself, some stranger was in my face [keep in mind that I was ALL the way across the room] telling me that I was a horrible example [I said that you, as a Senior, should be a good example for your younger peers], and that a senior should be showing the sophomores how to act instead of how not to act. For some reason, I took this as a challenge and countered with, "Are you in a bad mood or something? Whats the deal?"....Another bad move by me. Hello hallway. As I was sitting in the hall I told myself that I better get used to it because its going to become a home away from home.

Fortunately for me Mrs. Cross forgives easily and we are now on good terms. It turns out that speech class, although more difficult than I had hoped, isn't that bad at all. What once looked like a long semester is starting to fly by. [John wanted to put that I was bipolar--kids just don't seem to understand that when they misbehave it upsets teachers--and when they're good we are happy. That's not bipolar...that's normal! Also, I NEVER hold a grudge. The school year is too short not to enjoy it.]

John E. Schultz

No comments:

Post a Comment