Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Psyched for bowling


Tonight after work, I'll head over to Hollywood Bowl and meet some friends so we can kick off our 16-week season of bowling in the Fat Tire Beer League. I'm so excited.

If you can believe Wikipedia, we're about to join 95 million people in more than 90 countries worldwide who enjoy the sport.

Some friends who've been in the league for a while told me about it and urged me to join. Didn't take much. I've always enjoyed the game -- or, wait, is it a sport? I haven't bowled regularly since I was a teenager who somehow found his way into an adult beer league. Long story short: I was working as a part-time prep sports writer in my hometown of Fremont, Calif., and every Tuesday night after work, the sports editor and the one full-time sports reporter would head across the street with me to knock down some pins. (No, they didn't serve me alcohol and, frankly, I wasn't interested anyway.)

I've bowled intermittently since then, mostly with Jordan. But since he's in the Army now, I don't have anyone to go with regularly.

My teammates for tonight's kickoff are Colleen Sorensen, Erin Payton and Steve Kern. Should be lots of fun. Lori's going to miss this first evening of bowling but promises to be there in later weeks to cheer us on. Heck, she may be even more into this than me. I hadn't even registered our team yet when she went out to a Goodwill superstore and bought me a couple of used bowling shirts. Gotta look stylish, you know.

The above picture, by the way, was taken during last year's Bowling for Kids' Sake, an annual fundraiser for Big Brothers Big Sisters. (If anyone reading this post wants to donate to the cause, let me know. Better yet, form your own team and raise some money yourselves.)

Photo by Casey Parks

No comments:

Post a Comment