Monday, April 12, 2010

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

What a shock! Throughout my entire life I have liked science fiction type books. I was actually surprised when I realized that H.G. Wells' timeless masterpiece about a man traveling through time is actually worth reading. Usually I do not enjoy the classics. They always seem to be extremely wordy and too political. I'm not going to lie; The Time Machine does have some politics in it. However, these politics are good as they help you understand the novel.

The book itself is extremely short. I mean a classic in 76 pages that you can use on most AP Free Response questions comes in handy.

The novel contains an easily recognized symbol in the future described by the Time Traveler (his name is never mentioned). You see, the future described by the Time Traveler represents the London of the late 1800s. Wow. I'm really sorry. I was just explaining a symbol in a book. That's what happens when you type too many of those AP papers.

Anyway the novel, told from the stand point of the Time Traveler, depicts a future where the human races has evolved into two distinct beings: the Morlocks and the Eloi. The Eloi, fun-loving and carefree, quickly grow on the Time Traveler. Within minutes of arriving to their time, he begins to admire some of their qualities. The Morlocks, on the other hand, are deformed and blinded by light. They live underground in their tunnels, only coming outside at night to feed. The Time Traveler quickly realizes he was unprepared for his journey to the future when his time machine gets stolen. That is when problems start.

While some of the technical jargon in the beginning can be difficult to understand, the novel has a fast pace and is easily read in a couple days, at the most. I think that anyone who is interested in science fiction should see how it all began and read The Time Machine.

Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment