Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan

Some of you may have heard of the new movie Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief. What many of you might not know is that this movie is based off of a novel by Rick Riordan. Rick Riordan actually wrote a series of books following Percy Jackson, the son of the Greek god Poseidon.

Now I can't say anything about the movie because I have not seen it yet. I say yet because I do plan on seeing it as soon as I can because the books were amazing. The books have all the old Greek myths brought into a contemporary setting. I know some of you may absolutely hate Greek mythology. That is your right, but I encourage you to give these books a chance. My mom is actually reading them right now, and she cannot put them down.

You see, Percy is a demigod, which means he is the son of a god with a human for a mother. While this might sound cool, trust me it is not. Demigods attract monsters (the minotaur, giants, giant bulls, etc.) and they also have to go on extremely dangerous quests. The quests are pretty cool, and they make for an interesting story. For example, in the second book of the series, Sea of Monster, Percy, his friend Annabeth (a daughter of Athena), and his cyclops brother Tyson have to go into the Bermuda Triangle, also known as the sea of monster to all demigods, and rescue the golden fleece. If you know your mythology, that is the same fleece that Jason and the Argonauts recovered.

One of the best parts about these books is that they help you review your myths. So if you have a mythology test on the horizon, or you just want to actually enjoy a book for once, these books are for you!
-Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment