Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Spinning


A few months ago, I was first introduced to the concept of spinning. Some of you may be asking "What exactly is spinning?" I definitely was. I asked one of my friends who went occasionally; she said, "Hard." I was fairly skeptical. I figured that she was just being a wimp and that it would be a walk in the park for most people. I was WRONG!
Last week and this week for track practice we have had spin classes. By then I knew the general idea: you sit on a stationary bike called a "spinner" and you ride for an hour or so. I was happy when the girl's track coach invited the boys to come to spin class with them because I had been wanting to go to one, but did not have the time (or the money). Our coach thought it was a good idea, so four of us went that week. I had some preconceived notions on what spin class was going to be like, but all of them were wrong. For example, although I knew that a teacher taught the class, I believed I would just be sitting there riding a bike the whole time. I was in for a surprise. After I adjusted the seat on my bike, the real workout began. During the class, the teacher puts in a CD with some pump up music. S/he then has you alternate between standing and sitting while increasing or decreasing the tension. I quickly realized that spinning was not a walk in the park. The day after my workout, I could hardly walk. School was crazy. Walking was hard enough, let alone going up and down stairs all day. However, I do not regret going to spin class. In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It made me feel as if I had actually accomplished something that day, even if my legs felt like Jello.

-Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment