Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Gaming A profession?!?!

Hello, today I thought I'd talk about my favorite subject... gaming! I know I've some things in the past but today is different today I'm going to talk about how gaming has become profitable. Now, their have always been tournaments for people to collect some cash in especially in the computer community but nothing like what has come about in the last few years and in 2009 especially. Back in the day CSS tournaments would go on for a few hundred dollars maximum. Now, MLG has signed contracts with some of the top players for MILLIONS over the next few years and that's just the beginning other companies are getting involved also. Dr. Pepper has signed over $1.75 million dollars in contracts with MLG players in recent years. Other major companies like Old Spice and Stride have also stepped into the gaming market. Now I'm sure you're all surprised that gaming has such a professional field but let's step back a bit and talk about something a bit smaller... YouTube.
I'm sure most of you are aware that YouTube now has a "partnership" program where you make a certain amount of money per view on your video with the adds. A YouTube partner will make $2.5 to $5 per 1000 video views and when you look at some top people getting anywhere from 100k-1m+ views per video that's some good money. A top company on YouTube has also started signing contracts with people to provide them with content.
So I'm not telling you to go into gaming as a career however, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to laugh when someone tells you they play video games for a living.
wussupwussup

Thanks to YouTube.com and mlgpro.com for use of their logos.

No comments:

Post a Comment